Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Irish Roots


With St. Patrick's day here, I starting thinking about my Irish ancestors. I suspect one of my surnames, NEIL, to have originated from there, although I can't trace it back to there yet.


Another name, CAHILL, can be traced back to Ireland but I have much research and digging to do.
According to the census below, my GG Grandfather, Robert CAHILL came to the states in 1874. from Ireland. His wife Mary came in 1860 it appears. There seem to be several Mary and Robert Cahills in the PA and NY census', so I really do have to look at them more closely to make sure I have the correct ones. I am a bit confused on how/when/why they moved around in the United States since my G grandfather James was born in PA, lived in NY in 1900, then back to PA just before he joined the Canadian army for WWI. I am starting think that Mary (possibly with the maiden name MAHOONEY?) was married before Robert and had some children with him.




So many mysteries to unravel!



1900 United States Federal Census
Penn Yan, Milo Town, Yates, NewYork
















I think I first need to search some more, and try to get more information about their habitation in the states before I go back to them in Ireland. I want to be sure I have the correct people before I go back too much further.



Happy Searching and Happy St. Patty's Day!










1 comment:

  1. Good for you! Look the tri-color shamrock!

    Welcome to the Geneabloggers family. Hope you find the association fruitful; I sure do. I have found it most stimulating, especially some of the Daily Themes.

    May you keep sharing your ancestor stories!

    Dr. Bill ;-)
    http://drbilltellsancestorstories.blogspot.com/
    Author of "13 Ways to Tell Your Ancestor Stories"

    ReplyDelete