Saturday, May 1, 2010

Open Doors Hamilton

Today was a day where local areas of interest were open to the public free of charge.  It was a great opportunity to visit some places you might not otherwise go to see.
I was able to go to three things today.  A baby in tow and rain hindered going anywhere else but still it was a great day.

Here are the places we went too.

Janes Walk.  Check out this site for an explanation of what Janes walk is.  Maybe there is one in your area on Sunday, or maybe you can set one up in your town next year!
This walk was of Victoria Park.  Here are a couple plaques that describe part of what we learned about.  I will post the rest on my Familyhistoryfun - Wentworth Site soon!



Erland Lee Museum

Check out the link above for more details, but basically was the Lee family home until purchased by the Womens institue.  The first ever meeting was held here in 1897.  I need to research more about this because my family lived in this area, and there are some names on this plaque that might be related to me. Surnames NEIL and DEAN.  What an exciting find!



Battlefield House Museum

This is where the battle of Stoney Creek took place during the war of 1812, in 1813.   IT was interesting to hear some of the stories about the Gage family and that time period.  I wasn't able to go up to the monument because it wasn't stroller friendly, but maybe another time!





This is the first time I've been to an open doors event.  Are there ones in your area? I'd love to see a blog about it if there is!

No comments:

Post a Comment